New York Life
New York Life Investments (NYLIM), an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company, is a top 25 global asset management firm. With more than $500 billion in assets under management, NYLIM is a premier investment management firm serving a variety of client segments including retail, institutional, insurance and defined contribution and benefit on a global basis. New York Life Investments offers a diverse set of investment capabilities ranging from traditional equity and fixed income to alternative investment strategies and multi-asset solutions. Renowned for its premier investment acumen and client focus, NYLIM’s vision is to be one of the most trusted providers of investment management expertise and long-term financial security. The following opportunities are currently available:
CVP, Budget & Expense Analysis
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life’s surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Reporting to the Head of Budget, Accounting & Management Reporting, this role is responsible for the creation, communication and management of the budgeting and expense process for New York Life. The successful candidate will take a critical view of the current budget process, partner and collaborate with various stakeholders, and refine and standardize the process across the Enterprise. The CVP will be a hands-on leader responsible for organizing, administering and continually improving all aspects of budget preparation, reporting and analysis including collection, review and consolidation of company-wide budget submissions.
- Orchestrate the budgeting and expense planning processes for New York Life including development of the annual calendar
- Develop annual budget methodology, assumptions and guidelines
- Develop and drive consistent processes and deliverables
- Drive effective communication with budget coordinators and expense analysts
- Establish and maintain relationships with the SAP systems team to drive enhancements and new functionality required as part of the budget process refinement
- Develop annual expense budgets for the Executive Office, and corporate departments, including Technology
- Update Forecasts to reflect management expectations and changing business requirements
- Lead financial consolidation efforts for corporate expense budgets, forecasts and actuals
- Provide insightful financial analyses and presentations (standard and ad-hoc) to leadership, which contribute to their effectiveness and the oversight of New York Life’s expense base
- Develop monthly and quarterly budget and expense presentations and commentary
- Critically analyze financial data, draw conclusions and effectively articulate recommendations and results to stakeholders
- Provide visibility into costs and drivers by functional areas
- Proactively identify efficiencies and opportunities that promote the control over New York Life’s expense base
- Support development of Allocations methodology and communication with business to the business
- Ensure systems and processes are appropriately managed and a governance structure is setup to support cost allocations process
- Lead and manage a team of both internal and external labor
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in budget and expense management, and experience with cost allocation
- A track record of organizing, driving and implementing best-in-practice business processes
- Strong business process acumen and process improvement
- Understanding of enterprise-wide reporting platforms/tools
- Proven experience with problem-solving, leading and managing projects
- Ability to work collaboratively in a matrix environment, while developing effective relationships and achieving results
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and expertise in persuasion, negotiation, meeting management, and oral presentations
- Proven abilities directing, leading and motivating others
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree required, preferably with a major in Accounting or Finance. Advance degree and financial/accounting/business certification is preferred.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
**Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company’s long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
If you are interested in this position, please contact Tammy Mata (firstname.lastname@example.org).