The Community Preservation Corporation
Position: Regional Director and Mortgage Officer
Department: Buffalo Office
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Director of Upstate Revitalization
Summary of Position:
The role of the Mortgage Officer is to originate Construction and Permanent Loans on a basis consistent with CPC’s mission. The position is responsible for initial underwriting and analysis for appropriate risk, for actively monitoring projects through construction and conversion, and for identifying and addressing problem loans in both the construction and permanent portfolio.
The Senior Mortgage Officer is considered the Subject Matter Expert in their field and supports management by rendering their advice and recommendations to the leaders of the business. They are also instrumental in the creation and carrying out of management policies and procedures.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Market CPC’s Loan Products.
- Develop leads for new customers and manage relationships with existing customers.
- Analyze the financial, physical and market suitability of loan applications to CPC requirements.
- Work with owners, contractors, engineers, architects, and subsidy providers to structure loan transactions.
- Present Loan Packages to Mortgage Committee.
- Prepare Loan Commitments.
- Oversee Assistant Mortgage Officer(s) to ensure that Due Diligence is performed on all Loan Applications.
- Interact with Portfolio Servicing Department to ensure a smooth closing to conversion process.
- Act as liaison between Property Owner, Subsidy Providers and CPC.
- Monitor progress of Construction Projects.
- Monitor Delinquent Loans and Work-out Plans.
Skills and Experience:
- A demonstrated understanding of the Western NY commercial real estate market.
- Minimum of ten years commercial real estate lending experience. Affordable housing finance experience preferred.
- BA/BS required. Master’s Degree in a related field is preferred. Comparable work experience will be considered.
- Thorough knowledge of financial underwriting and ability to verify the viability of a deal from the mortgage offering, and to explain such viability to borrowers, mortgage committee, and others. Experience underwriting subsidized deals preferable.
- Thorough knowledge of the various requirements of lenders, co-lenders, investors, and other parties to construction lending.
- Thorough knowledge of the practical steps needed to meet lending requirements, and how to modify a business deal to meet such constraints and requirements.
- The ability to understand other parties’ needs, and to explain clearly the soundness of a given problem’s solution.
- The ability to be creative in searching out other business initiatives not currently part of CPC’s product portfolio.
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to Sheldon Anderson at email@example.com.