Regional President, Buffalo, NY
CNB Bank, headquartered in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, is a multi-state regional bank with over 21 full service branches and one loan production office throughout northwestern PA. They also operate as ERIEBANK, a division of CNB Bank, with eight (8) full service offices in Erie, Harborcreek, Meadville and Warren, PA. Eight (8) full-service offices operate as FCBank, a division of CNB Bank in Central Ohio. They total approximately $2.3 billion in assets, $1.8 billion in deposits and approximately 460 employees providing a full range of banking services to individuals, families, businesses and government and institutional services. CNB Bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of CNB Financial Corporation. Holiday Financial Services has grown to 12 offices centrally located in the CNB Bank and ERIEBANK market areas.
Culturally, CNB Bank has adopted an attitude for the company that is highly collaborative and productive. The company emphasizes hiring the best and the brightest and goes to great lengths to ensure that they accomplish that. Each new employee is carefully chosen based on a number of factors including but not limited to experience. Their focus is as much on cultural fit and work ethic as it is on past performance. It is an employee and customer centric organization where employees feel pride of ownership and where employee engagement is extraordinarily high. Their philosophy of collaborative management allows every employee in the company to have a voice. Their leadership team goes to great lengths to make coming to work at CNB Bank more than a job. Their core values are extremely important, as is benefits and competitive compensation. Their goal is to provide career paths that allow employees to stretch their boundaries. Creativity and “appropriate risk with accountability” are encouraged at the bank.
The County National Bank of Clearfield was founded by a group of citizens from Clearfield, PA in 1865. The law authorizing the organization of national banks was passed during President Lincoln's administration and had been in effect for less than two years.
Years later, in March of 1933, President Roosevelt declared a "Bank Holiday," closing all national banks. Those banks in poor financial condition never reopened. County National, however, reorganized in February of 1934 by virtue of a stock offering to existing depositors. The bank was renamed "The County National Bank at Clearfield," and was capitalized with $225,000 of preferred capital stock, $225,000 in common stock and $90,000 in surplus. Also, County National Bank formed a Trust Department to serve the customer's trust and estate needs. To simplify growth into additional market areas, the name was changed to "County National Bank" in 1965.
In March of 1984, County National Bank reorganized and became a wholly owned subsidiary of CNB Financial Corporation. This arrangement allowed shareholders to expand the financial services beyond those the bank itself was permitted to offer under current regulations.
In October, 2005, a new bank named ERIEBANK was formed in Erie, Pennsylvania. Operating as a division of County National Bank, the new organization opened a Commercial Loan Production Office at in downtown Erie.
On November 7, 2005, CNB Financial Corporation purchased the performing loans of Holiday Consumer Discount Company and formed the Holiday Financial Services Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of CNB Financial Corporation. The corporation offers its customers both secured and unsecured consumer loans, sales finance products and associated credit insurance products.
County National Bank converted from a national banking charter to a state banking charter on December 29, 2006, officially changing its name to CNB Bank.
On October 11, 2013, CNB Financial Corporation acquired the eight branch bank, Farmers Citizens Bank, which is headquartered just north of Columbus in Bucyrus, Ohio. Following the acquisition, FCBank, a division of CNB Bank was formed.
They now are looking to add another senior Commercial Banking executive to their leadership team to assist in opening the Erie County, NY market.
The opportunity is a Regional President role which will report directly to Joe Bower, the President and CEO of CNB Bank. The position is based in Buffalo, NY (location TBD) and will have full responsibility for starting up, managing and directing the overall market-based Commercial and Industrial (C&I) lending activities across this geographic area which includes Buffalo and the surrounding Western New York markets.
This position will have responsibility for the delivery of all C & I commercial services including: Specialty Lending (Commercial Real Estate, Healthcare Lending and Government Banking), Capital Markets products and Financial Services (Insurance, Wealth Management and Private Banking). Therefore, this individual must possess a thorough understanding of regional trends in these areas and develop and initiate an aggressive business plan to build this new market for CNB Bank. This individual will ensure that loans and fee-based products and services are aligned with the strategic objectives of the overall business plan at CNB Bank and that they are balanced appropriately to achieve optimal revenue flow and returns to investors. A major priority for this individual will be to build new CNB customer relationships and ensuring the delivery of best-in-class service at every level. Innovation and creative customer problem-solving will be key components of this role.
This position oversees the commercial business, but will also act as the Regional President for the bank’s eventual footprint across the Western New York region. That will include building and overseeing a team to handle retail business to include Wealth & Asset and Private Banking. This individual will work closely with the banks’ leadership team on everything from start-up projects and key initiatives of the bank to day-to-day issues that require immediate attention. These areas include sales management, product development, vendor management, and people planning. This person will be the point person that oversees the integration of people, process and risk management to achieve the highest commercial lending quality and output while meeting the financial goals of the company. Balancing a conservative credit and risk-tolerance attitude with a drive toward delivering an exemplary customer experience is very important in this role.
This market will be an important expansion step for CNB Bank, with tremendous upside opportunity for growth. The ideal candidate will be a proven commercial lending leader with a track record of successfully growing a sizeable commercial services operation. The ability to quickly ramp up the region by bringing in seasoned sales people while maintaining the current CNB culture will be the key factors to success.
The ideal candidate will be expected to have demonstrated success in a mid to senior commercial lending role overseeing a commercial banking operation. The priorities for this individual are a combination of a few key business objectives: start up a Buffalo- based commercial platform; grow the portfolio; act in the capacity of partner and advisor to the President and CEO of the bank on issues that impact the organization, both short and long term; and increase the financial return to bank shareholders.
CNB Bank is seeking a seasoned commercial banking leader with proven leadership skills and a collaborative management style. He/she will provide leadership, management and coaching in the achievement of sales goals, staff development, service goals and community visibility and involvement. In addition, the Erie County Regional President will participate in and provide guidance to team members in soliciting new business. Active participation in the community that enhances the overall image and visibility of CNB Bank is critical to this role.
The ideal candidate will have significant ‘in-market’ experience and be well-known and highly regarded within the surrounding communities. Strong credit and sales skills and a proven track record of successfully leading commercial teams are required. This position will have significant credit authority within the region. The initial focus of the role will be to assess and develop the commercial sales strategy for Buffalo. The right candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit and be excited about building out the commercial organization and taking it to the next level.
Below is a listing of the personal traits that this executive will need to possess in order to succeed in this role.
- Confident and polished with a strong and engaging executive presence; commands respect from employees and customers.
- Prioritizes sks and strategies and effectively translates messages to employees to achieve desired outcomes.
- Creative, progressive and innovative thinker.
- Flexible; willing and able to adapt to changing priorities of the bank and the marketplace. Must be able to work independently.
- Comfortable rolling up his/her sleeves and doing what it takes to get the job done.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; collegial and genuine. Ability to build rapport and easily gain trust and support of peers. Able to work effectively with professionals from all levels within the organization.
- Builds a strong, balanced and effective team and sets clear expectations for everyone. Recognizes and credits his/her team for their work.
- Self-motivated toward success with a strong work ethic. Takes ownership of actions and responsibilities. Ability to take a position on difficult issues and maintain professional poise (and a sense of humor) under times of pressure and heavy workload.
- Highly results oriented.
- Extremely high degree of personal integrity.
Communication, Organization and Leadership
- Well-developed communication, organizational and decision-making skills. Comfortable making presentations to executive management and in front of groups of all sizes and constituents. The highest levels of written and verbal communication skills a must.
- Great listening skills. Consistently shows an inviting and positive attitude toward others.
- Demonstrated success recruiting, leading and developing high-performing teams. Experience coaching and developing team members in a constructive and non-threatening manner. Creates a working environment where employees are motivated to do their best. Empowers others and invites input from each person; shares ownership and visibility.
Business/ Industry Skills
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience, including success as a commercial lender in a high performing bank environment.
- Significant market knowledge and exposure. Must have in-depth knowledge of the region and must be entrenched within this footprint and know how to be immediately effective at CNB.
- Thorough comprehension of credit risk management, credit administration and loan underwriting.
- Able to develop strategic and tactical start-up marketing plans critical to the achievement of corporate growth objectives.
- Strong community involvement.
- Knowledge of consumer products
Key Responsibilities of the Role
- Have a thorough understanding of the Buffalo market objectives for the bank, not only from a current perspective but also from an overall strategic growth dimension; develop and implement strategies that result in CNB having commercial sales and operations that attract highly talented employees and that will translate into extraordinary customer experiences.
- Play a key role in the alignment of the Buffalo/Western New York region commercial sales, servicing, operations, risk management and technology to the extent that each area of the business has the same ultimate business goals regarding growth and customer experience.
- Identify and deploy appropriate technology throughout the Buffalo division to maximize customer service opportunities and enhance productivity, risk management and profitability.
- After developing a strong understanding of the Banks’ commercial platform and processes, and the connected areas that support the Buffalo commercial lending platform including sales, technology, and quality assurance - determine if any immediate operational or other issues exist, making a case for process improvement using the best techniques available and making recommendations where longer term change strategies are warranted. Report findings and recommendations to the President and CEO and other stakeholders.
- Develop and implement commercial operational and customer service standards with rigorous accountability and communicate them across the internal business units that align with the Buffalo market; continuously monitor the process and the metrics relative to objectives; study the cause and effect of underperforming areas, and work with other managers when necessary to quickly improve commercial lending-related issues.
- Ensure service standards are high and that internal support and vendor management are aligned around these objectives; direct the management of commercial lending risk pursuant to CNB credit policies and procedures, portfolio servicing guidelines, performance standards and training and support initiatives - ensuring servicing and quality conforms to CNB’s standards.
- Work closely with the teams that provide support to all commercial lending functions in your market, including technology, vendor management, business resiliency, risk management, and customer service.
- Adhere to all commercial regulatory compliance obligations and immediately address areas of weakness and risk and incorporate appropriate mitigation strategies where appropriate.
- Build professional working relationships with internal partners and key regulatory agencies; act as a primary liaison with other business units including corporate credit, information technology, compliance, operations and servicing to fairly represent the commercial management viewpoint of CNB Bank.
- Participate as a voting member of the Loan Committee; member of the Quarterly Corporate Loan Committee. Build and manage a regional advisory group.
- Collaborate in developing, implementing and managing an annual financial budget as warranted by the overall Bank plan for the division in the Buffalo market. Thoughtfully look for expense savings whenever possible.
- Maintain a close ear to industry practices and trends, including discussions with the capital markets, servicing, sales and operations teams to determine if there are ‘Buffalo-specific’ or ‘customer-specific’ issues or other processes or nuances that need to be addressed; react to changes in a way that maintains quality without compromising competitiveness or customer experience
- Develop and manage an annual continuous improvement program that covers all aspects of the Buffalo operation.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school is required.
- Professional credit/risk-training is highly desirable.
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to Sheldon Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.